Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Going Green in January

"In the long term, economic sustainability depends on ecological sustainability."
— “America’s Living Oceans” [Pew Oceans Report, 2003]

In October of 2009 I had the good fortune to attend a presentation given by Jean-Michel Cousteau at the Kimmel Center in Philadelphia as part of speaker series offered by Widener University. Jean-Michel is the son of famed marine biologist Jacques Cousteau. His presentation was fun and friendly and very eye-opening. Because of his involvement with global environmental issues and actions he was able to shed light on the true inter-connectedness of life on this planet - the web of existence of which we are all a part and how actions at one point on the globe have world-wide ramifications.

Wow. That's a lot to think about. The GLOBE is very large. My personal small actions are nothing against that magnitude.

Ok, so I've decided to think on a smaller scale. My house. My own business.

One New Year's resolution I have made is that I am going to switch from buying the harsh chemicals that I normally use for cleaning and try out some "GREEN" products this year. To this end, I have already reviewed some products and contacted a few companies whose products I think I might like to try.

To make it easier for others to bypass some of this legwork, I will let you know via this blog and my website which products I like. Please take a look and join me in this mission to take ownership of our world.

I pray that these small steps will empower us toward the environmental and economic sustainability that our families, towns, country and world need!


No comments:

Post a Comment